Inclusive and Affirming Ministries (IAM) has a vision of faith communities in Africa that are welcoming and affirming; where Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) people can participate fully and be strengthened in their spiritual, psychological and sexual identity as human beings. IAM works towards this vision through programs that support and empower the LGBTI community, parents, family and friends (PFF) and people living with Hiv Aids (PLHIV) to stimulate dialogue in building welcoming, affirming and inclusive faith communities.
STATEMENT OF CONVICTION
IAM believe that:
- there is integrity in being both Christian and LGBTI.
- we are called by God to express our sexuality in loving, faithful & committed relationships.
- same-sex orientation is a God-given reality for a large minority of people, not a sin or sickness.
- our lives offer evidence of the fruits of the Holy Spirit and that our present experience requires a re-evaluation the traditional interpretations of the Scriptures and tradition.
- in order to be true to the Gospel, the Church must include & affirm LGBTI Christians.
- in the power of dialogue as a process that can be life changing for the Church.